[bip] License - was Re: domain name for community site

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sat Aug 25 13:19:40 PDT 2007

-> If I develop tools based around any core modules developed, how would I
-> reference these modules.

In publications?  Or in your own code?

In publications you would just cite the Web site, or, down the road,
whatever publication(s) announced the core modules.

In your own codebase (if you release it) you can just put down that you
used such and such libraries.  If you include the libraries with your
release, you can include them as an unmodified blob and just mention the
license etc. in your own docs.

-> But also if I contribute to the core modules how do
-> I ensure that my work is recognised by any work based on my contributions.

With some of the licenses we've been talking about, you *don't*.
There's no attribution clause in the MIT or BSD licenses.  It's
generally considered polite to attribute, however.

I honestly don't expect to see significant bodies of code hitting the
community Web site in the form of tutorials.  I think a license for core
library modules that go beyond simple code or interface spec can be
discussed if and when we actually have some code up for review ;).

cheers,