[bip] formats in biology

Diane Trout diane at caltech.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:27:51 PDT 2007

> While I have no particular insight into the parser conundrum, I would
> just like to mention that holding up XML, HTML, or (X)HTML as a success
> for format validation is ... ironic, given the huge numbers of

It occured to me that one under appreciated part of the HTML spec is:

Skip tags you don't understand.

That allows people to roll out new html features without breaking
existing browsers. It does lead to a whole bunch of messy hard to parse
pages but more often than not a most web browsers can do something
with a some random web page that's better than just crashing.
(unlike what most FASTA readers would do if faced with the ;comment)

diane