[bip] Future of bioinformatics in python..?

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:03:02 PDT 2007

Hi,
The main problems I have with something like Sage include:
1) It is a monolithic project or at least a metaproject so ti depends
on the individual projects.
2) License issues especially linking to closed-source or propriety
packages like Matlab and the GPL v3 code. It is not clear what, where
and where different licenses can be used. Sage is GPL v2 so it can
only be used in similar projects.
3) Improvements in Python such as bug and performance fixes to new
syntax (list comprehension) or features (elementtree in Python 2.5)
are usually not supported for various reasons like support in
individual projects.
4) Projects changes or improvements: Numerical python is a good
example where Numeric, numarray and now numpy exist.
5) Problem of maintaining all the interfaces to other packages
(especially maintaining namespaces) in addition to maintaining those
packages.
6) Dependencies between and within individual projects that may even
conflict or have difficulties in building (like SciPy) across
platforms, OSes and distributions/versions.

All these are not really an issue while there is funding, personnel
and interest in all aspects of the project.

A different problem with something like Sage is that the syntax that
is different from the individual projects. This creates problems in
basic usage to support (eg, is the error in Sage or not?).

Bruce