[alife] PhD Studentships on Information Theory in Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life

Daniel Polani d.polani at herts.ac.uk
Mon May 29 12:56:08 PDT 2017

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

		      PhD Studentships Available on

  INFORMATION THEORY IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND ARTIFICIAL LIFE

		   Adaptive Systems Research Group
		      School of Computer Science
		   University of Hertfordshire, UK

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

We invite applications for PhD studentships in the Adaptive Systems
Research Group at the University of Hertfordshire: specifically,
studying principled methods (with focus on information theory) in
fundamental questions of Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life,
including principles of cognition, and emergence (origin) of life and
intelligence from first principles. Questions also include information
processing in adaptive, complex and self-organizing systems in
general, a research area which has witnessed a dramatic increase of
interest in the last years. At the same time, our goal is to adapt
these principles for AI applications and robotic devices.

We use mathematical methods, with particular emphasis on Shannon's
information theory, to describe, understand or construct systems in
the context of AI/robotics and biology. Potential research directions
could be:

  - information and its flow through the perception-action loop

  - the role of information in the self-organization in complex
    systems

  - origin of life and cognition

  - principled Artificial Intelligence methods for embodied autonomous
    robotics

  - intrinsic motivation and artificial creativity

  - informational principles of biological computation (with
    opportunities to collaborate with the Biocomputation Research
    Group)

The prospective candidates should have a very strong first degree, a
keen interest in delving into and contributing to a new, and quickly
expanding research area and an outstanding background in Computer
Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics or another relevant
computational/quantitative discipline. In particular, they should
demonstrate excellent programming skills in at least one major
computer language. A mathematical/numerical background would be highly
desirable. Knowledge in at least one of the following fields would be
a plus: probability theory, information theory, differential geometry,
control, dynamical systems, control, data modelling/neural network
techniques.

The envisaged research will take place in the vibrant, enthusiastic
and enterprising research environment of the Adaptive Systems Research
Group in the School of Computer Science at the University of
Hertfordshire; there will also be the chance to collaborate with the
socSMCs (Socializing Sensorimotor Contingencies, FET Open) and WiMUST
(Widely Scalable Mobile Underwater Sonar Technology) EU Horizon 2020
projects, as well as the School's successful humanoid robot RoboCup
team, the Bold Hearts and other projects at the School.

The school offers a large number of specialized and interdisciplinary
seminars as well as general training opportunities. Research in
Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire has been
recognized as excellent by the latest Research Assessment Exercise,
with 50% of the research submitted being rated as internationally
excellent or world leading.

The University of Hertfordshire is located in Hatfield, Hertfordshire
UK which is considered the "northern green belt" of London. Hatfield
is close to London (less than 25 minutes by direct train to Kings
Cross), has convenient access to Stansted, Luton and Heathrow
airports, and, via the nearby historic town of St. Albans, also to
Gatwick airport.

Successful candidates are eligible for a research studentship award
from the University (which includes approximately GBP 14,550.00 per
annum bursary from 1 October 2017 and the payment of the standard
UK/EU student fees). Applicants from outside the UK or EU are
eligible, but will have to pay half of the overseas fees out of their
bursary.

Closing date for application is the 16. June 2017, though excellent
applications may be considered after that date.

For informal inquiries on the research topic please contact: Dr.
Daniel Polani (E-mail: d.polani at herts.ac.uk)

Application forms are available from Lorraine Nicholls
(l.nicholls at herts.ac.uk) or under the following link:

  http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/schools-of-study/computer-science/our-research/the-phd-programme-in-computer-science

(see also the link under "Information Theory in Artificial
Intelligence and Artificial Life")

and should be returned to:

  Mrs Lorraine Nicholls
  Research Student Administrator, STRI
  University of Hertfordshire
  College Lane
  Hatfield, AL10 9AB Herts
  Hertfordshire
  UK

  Tel: +44 1707 286083
  Email: l.nicholls at herts.ac.uk

Applications should also include two references and transcripts of
previous academic degrees.
--
Daniel Polani

| School of Computer Science              | Tel. +44/1707/28 4380 |
| University of Hertfordshire             | Fax: +44/1707/28 4303 |
| Hatfield, Herts AL10 9AB                |                       |
| United Kingdom                          |                       |