[alife] International Society for Artificial Life: Community Update

Charles Ofria ofria at msu.edu
Tue Jan 17 07:41:05 PST 2017

Dear members of the Artificial Life Community,

One year ago, I had the privilege of being elected president of the
International
Society for Artificial Life (ISAL) <http://www.alife.org>.  Today, I am
happy to report about the exciting changes, events, and initiatives within
the society, as well as our initial plans for 2017 and beyond.

First, some news about the Artificial Life conferences.  Since 1991,
the European
Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL) has helped shape the field of
Artificial Life and promoted cutting-edge scholarship within our field.  In
recent years, ECAL has exchanged so many ideas with the International
Conference on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems that the two
are now run almost interchangeably. As such, ECAL 2017 will mark the final
conference under the ECAL name, as we begin our transition to a single,
annual Artificial Life conference.

ECAL 2017 <https://project.inria.fr/ecal2017/> will be September 4-8 in
Lyon, France.  I strongly encourage all of you to submit proposals for
Tutorials or Workshops (due Feb 8th) or manuscripts (due April 9th).

The following July, ALife 2018 will be the first, all-new International
Conference for Artificial Life.  It will be held near Tokyo, Japan, making
it our first conference outside of Europe or North America in over two
decades.

Moving forward, we will hold the ALife conferences each year in different
regions of the globe.  For those of you interested in potentially running
ALife 2019 or later, please let me know so we can start a conversation.
The next call for conference proposals will be out in the coming months,
with the goal of announcing the location of ALife 2019 at ECAL 2017.

We have also made some improvements to the Artificial Life Journal
<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/artl>.  Mark Bedau, the
Editor-in-Chief, is now working with several active associate editors
including Seth Bullock, Martin Hanczyc, Hiroki Sayama, Susan Stepney, Steen
Rasmussen, and myself.  Each of us will focus on increasing submissions and
improving quality in our respective research areas.  Furthermore, Alexandra
Penn is now the Societal Impact Editor for the journal, and René Doursat is
the Book Review Editor, adding valuable new features.  The impact of these
changes should start being visible over the next year.  The journal remains
a cornerstone of our community, and continues on an upward trajectory.
Please consider submitting your best work!

I would also like to make sure that everyone is aware that articles
appearing in the journal can be made Open Access for a fee of $1250.  For
those authors who cannot pay this fee, the journal will remain free to
publish. We are exploring ideas for how to shift the journal entirely to
open access, but we also want to ensure that the required expense won’t
prohibit authors from submitting quality publications.

A major initiative that ISAL launched this year is a working group for
Artificial
Life in Society, led by Alexandra Penn.  This initiative promotes our
community’s role in addressing urgent global challenges that involve
complex living, lifelike or hybrid systems. Artificial Life provides unique
tools for understanding and manipulating living systems, as well
as creating new living or life-like technologies. The emerging challenges
in nature, technology, economics, and culture call for participation from
Artificial Life experts across many fields; we must add our voice to the
debate and contribute solutions to the challenges that we all face.
Projects starting soon include a new section in the Artificial Life
Journal, educational resources, interactive workshops dedicated to building
innovative collaborations, and a societal impact award.  Anyone who wishes
to get involved, should please contact Dr. Alex Penn (a.penn at surrey.ac.uk)

I am also excited to announce a new Artificial Life Student/Postdoc Group
that is just getting off the ground.  The group currently has 26 members
from around the world and has been organizing bi-weekly journal club
meetings. Since these meetings are attended by people from all areas of
artificial life, they provide a great opportunity for students to discuss
the broader context of the papers they are reading. The journal club, along
with assorted discussions on the group's Slack channel, help the students
get to know each other and form a community. Going forward, the group is
planning further contributions to make to the field, such as a series of
videos explaining various aspects of Artificial Life. If you want to join
or have students who may be interested, please email Emily Dolson (
EmilyLDolson at gmail.com).

At the 2016 Artificial Life conference in Cancun, we debuted several new ISAL
Awards.  We are now giving out six annual awards: Outstanding Paper of the
Year, Outstanding Paper of the Decade, Distinguished Young Investigator,
Education & Outreach, Exceptional Service, and Lifetime Achievement.  To
see the results of the 2016 awards, go to http://alife.org/news/2016-
isal-awards-winners.  Nomination requests for the 2017 awards will appear
soon!

The ISAL Board of Directors currently has 14 members (nine elected, five
appointed into specific roles), plus a representative from the
Student/Postdoc Group.  The full board membership and roles can be found at
http://alife.org/board-members.  As a board, we meet once per month via
teleconference, and then for an extended meeting each year at the annual
conference.  During these meetings, we lay out plans for the society, for
the journal, for the conferences, and promote new activities and
initiatives.  The next round of elections to the board will begin in a few
months, so if you are interested in influencing the ISAL inner
workings, please consider standing for election!

Priorities for 2017: The board has numerous goals going forward, but our
short-term priorities will depend on feedback from the community and the
willingness of community members to contribute their own efforts.  Some of
the possible goals that we have discussed include:

   -

   Improving the reputation of Artificial Life in other areas of science
   and engineering by active promotion, education, and raising our own
   standards.
   -

   Growing our membership and engaging a broad range of new researchers in
   Artificial Life activities.
   -

   Cultivating a vibrant online community for Artificial Life discussions
   and collaborations, as well as creating a range of online resources to help
   researchers learn about each other and find collaborators.
   -

   Promoting open science via open source software, open access
   publications, simplified data sharing, and establishing a more
   collaborative scientific culture.
   -

   Setting up a Newsletter to keep members of the community informed.
   -

   Encouraging grassroots projects and facilitating members of the
   community in organizing society activities.
   -

   Jump-starting Working Groups on Education, Diversity, Industry, and
   Social Media, while keeping the strong momentum going for the ALife in
   Society Working Group.
   -

   Identifying Open Questions and Grand Challenges in Artificial Life, as
   part of a broader community discussion.
   -

   Increasing member opportunities; allow hobbyist members,
   organize special interest groups, form an advisory board, elect ISAL
   Fellows, and more.

If you haven’t had a chance yet to fill out the ISAL Community Survey
<https://goo.gl/forms/9Sy5otY05CWJvg972>, we really do want to get your
feedback as we continue to plan.  Please fill it out!  The numerous

I do plan to keep the community up to date about our progress towards these
goals.  If you want to stay informed about ISAL activities and events
in the Artificial Life community, please join the Artificial Life
announcements mailing list <http://lists.idyll.org/listinfo/alife-announce>.

Finally, I’d like to encourage everyone to publish in the Artificial Life
journal, come to the Artificial Life conferences, and join ISAL!  Remember
that ISAL membership gets you a discount on the annual conference (worth at
least as much as the membership itself), full journal access (and free
publication), the right to vote for the ISAL board, eligibility to be
nominated for ISAL Awards, and more benefits soon (let us know if you have
ideas for what you’d like to see.) MOST IMPORTANT: your ISAL
membership will help support the society and our activities, strengthening
the field of Artificial Life.  For now, you become a society member
through MIT Press by subscribing to the Artificial Life journal
<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/artl>.
<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/artl>

Want to discuss anything from this e-mail?  Go to https://reddit.com/r/alife

Want to help ISAL? Support us on https://smile.amazon.com!

Thank you all for reading this, and have a wonderful 2017!

Sincerely,

Charles Ofria

Professor of Computer Science

President, International Society for Artificial Life

Director, MSU Digital Evolution Laboratory

Michigan State University

ofria at msu.edu

<ofria at msu.edu>