[alife] 2nd CfP: ALife XV

Carlos Gershenson cgg at unam.mx
Tue Jan 12 09:12:41 PST 2016

** Second announcement and call for papers and abstracts**
//please redistribute
//please excuse multiple copies

Dear friends and colleagues,
The 2016 ALife Organizing Committee would like to cordially invite you to submit your work to “The Fifteenth International Conference on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems”, taking place at the Cancun International Convention Center in Cancun, Mexico, on July 4-8, 2016.
We are happy to announce that our keynote speakers cover a wide variety of topics and include Randall Beer, Ezequiel Di Paolo, Stuart Kauffman, Francisco C. Santos, Linda Smith and Antonio Lazcano. We are also honored to have an artistic premier by Ken Rinaldo, whose artworks have extensively explored the intersection of life and technology.
Cancun is the main city of the Mayan Riviera, an international tourist destination. The Riviera is close to several major archaeological sites, and is home to the world’s second largest coral reef, as well as more than a hundred kilometers of white-sand beaches, first class resorts and the blue waters of the Caribbean Sea.
The conference is intended to gather a rich and diverse research community in Artificial Life and related fields, and to present the latest advances in the synthesis and simulation of living systems. For this edition the special theme is “ALife and society”. We are inviting especially contributions to understand and manage social systems, scientifically, technically and culturally, as well as to allow the artistic community to display the artworks this field has been able to inspire.

The submission deadline for extended abstracts and full papers is February 14th, 2016. Each submission to ALife 2016 will be rigorously evaluated in a double blind review process. Full papers will be reviewed for relevance, scientific, engineering, and/or philosophical quality, sound methodology and use of appropriate analysis techniques. Extended abstracts will be reviewed for relevance and quality. Accepted contributions will be published by MIT Press as open online proceedings.

There are two options for submission: either full paper or extended abstract. Note that the format is the same for both options. The only difference resides in the number of pages and type of contents:

Full papers have an 8-page maximum length and should report on new, unpublished work.
Extended abstracts are limited to two pages and can report on previously published work, but offer a new perspective on that work.

Important dates:

Submission of papers or abstracts: February 14th, 2016
Notifications: March 25th, 2016
Camera-ready versions April 24th, 2016

Details of submissions at: http://turing.iimas.unam.mx/alifeXV/?page_id=349 <http://turing.iimas.unam.mx/alifeXV/?page_id=349>
The call for workshops and tutorials <http://turing.iimas.unam.mx/alifeXV/?page_id=719> has also already been released. The call for artworks will be published soon, wait for it!