[alife] CFP: Special Issue on "Information Theoretic Incentives for Cognitive Systems"

Keyan Ghazi-Zahedi itialife at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:07:44 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the forthcoming special issue on "Information Theoretic Incentives for Cognitive Systems <http://www.mdpi.com/journal/entropy/special_issues/information-theoretic>" in the open access journal Entropy and invite you to contribute -- deadline February 28th, 2015.

In recent years, ideas such as "life is information processing" or "information holds the key to understanding life" have become more common. However, how can information, or more formally Information Theory, increase our understanding of life, or life-like systems?

Information Theory not only has a profound mathematical basis, but also typically provides an intuitive understanding of processes, such as learning, behavior and evolution terms of information processing.

In this special issue, we are interested in both: a.) the information-theoretic formalization and quantification of different aspects of life, such as driving forces of learning and behavior generation, information flows between neurons, swarm members and social agents, and information theoretic aspects of evolution and adaptation and b.) the simulation and creation of life-like systems with previously identified principles and incentives.

Topics with relation to artificial and natural systems:

information theoretic intrinsic motivations
information theoretic quantification of behavior
information theoretic guidance of artificial evolution
information theoretic guidance of self-organization
information theoretic driving forces behind learning
information theoretic driving forces behind behavior
information theory in swarms
information theory in social behavior
information theory in evolution
information theory in the brain
information theory in system-environment distinction
information theory in the perception action loop
information theoretic definitions of life

Christoph Salge
Georg Martius
Keyan Ghazi-Zahedi
Daniel Polani