[alife] Save the date(s): 2016 Gordon Research Conference & Seminar "Origins of Life"

Omer Markovitch omermar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 01:27:21 PST 2014

We are pleased to announce the 2016 "Origins of Life" Gordon early-career
seminar (GRS) and subsequent Gordon Research Conference (GRC) will be held
Jan 16-17 and 17-22 at Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas.

Understanding life's origins requires input from many different academic
disciplines. Our state of knowledge is developing quickly in recent years
as complementary research initiatives, such as "astrobiology" and
"artificial life" bring new perspectives, new faces and new information to
bear. Even among traditional elements of the field, a major source of
progress has been increased flow of information across traditional
disciplinary boundaries, as the perceived value of multi- and
inter-disciplinary scientific research has risen and teaching has evolved
to match.

Gordon Research Seminars are a series of highly successful and unique
meetings that enable early-career researchers to become involved at the
frontiers of science by sharing with established world leading scientists.
In 2016, we seek to break new ground in developing these connections,
emphasizing their vital importance to a fast-moving, interdisciplinary
field.

More information will be announced during 2015 as detailed planning now
commences.

GRC 2016 chair: Stephen Freeland, Director of Interdisciplinary Studies at
UMBC, Maryland, USA.

GRS 2016 chair: Omer Markovitch, Interdisciplinary Computing and Complex
BioSystems research group, School of Computing Science, Newcastle
University, UK.

​Please visit http://www.grc.org/home.aspx for updates.