[alife] CFP: Workshop on Artificial Life and the Web (WebAL-1)

Tim Taylor tim at tim-taylor.com
Wed Feb 26 13:01:17 PST 2014

~~~~~ CALL FOR PAPERS AND QUICK-FIRE PRESENTATIONS ~~~~~

*** WORKSHOP ON ARTIFICIAL LIFE AND THE WEB (WebAL-1) ***

to be held at the
14th International Conference on the Synthesis
and Simulation of Living Systems (ALIFE-14)

New York City, 30 July-2 August 2014

Workshop web page: http://tim-taylor.com/webal1
Conference web page: http://alife14.org

~~~
IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: 2 May 2014
Notification of acceptance: 16 May 2014
Workshop date: 30 July 2014 (TBC)

~~~
ABOUT
The rapid development of the Web, and the availability of an ever
increasing number of sophisticated APIs, web-focused languages and
associated technologies, offers rich potential for developing novel
A-Life related research platforms and applications.

Despite this potential, there are still relatively few people working
at the interface of A-Life and the Web (WebAL). The purpose of this
workshop is to bring together practitioners in this field, and those
wishing to move into the area. We solicit contributions that address
WebAL technologies, methodologies and applications.

The workshop will provide a forum for exchanging ideas, tips and
information. By providing ample opportunity during the workshop for
structured discussion, we aim to provide an opportunity for a genuine
exchange of ideas, rather than just another "mini-conference".

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

~ Distributed aesthetic evolution on the web ~
~ Uses of the new HTML5 APIs for native WebAL ~
~ Uses of search APIs for automatic fitness functions ~
~ Human/Agent hybrid systems ~
~ WebAL-enabled collaborative systems ~
~ and more ~

~~~
WORKSHOP FORMAT
The WebAL workshop will run for half a day. The format will be a
little different to most workshops.

The event will include a session of regular presentations, 20+5
minutes each, on mature work and work in progress. Speakers will be
asked to emphasize the particular aspects of their work that rely upon
web-based technologies or methodologies.

In addition, there will be a series of 5 minute quick-fire
presentations, where speakers can spotlight their current work and/or
talk about the technologies they are using. The purpose of this
session is to allow those who have not given a full presentation to
introduce themselves and their work.

After the regular and quick-fire presentations, there will be an
extended coffee break for mingling. Now that everyone knows each other
and has an idea of what they're working on, this is a chance to have
some more detailed small group discussions. And a chance to grab some
coffee and snacks!

The workshop will end with a panel-led open discussion. Taking the
preceding presentations and discussions as a starting point, we will
discuss how the field might develop in the future. We will consider
what resources might be useful for researchers moving into this field,
with a view to establishing a web-based information resource after the
workshop. We will also discuss the possible form of a journal article
that could be co-authored by participants on the topics covered during
the workshop.

~~~
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION
We invite submissions for both regular and quick-fire presentations.

For regular presentations, please send a 1000-word extended abstract.

For quick-fire presentations, please send a one-paragraph description
of the work you wish to present.

All submissions should be sent by email to webal1 at tim-taylor.com by 2
May 2014.

For full information, please see the workshop web page at
http://tim-taylor.com/webal1

~~~
CONTACTS
Web: http://tim-taylor.com/webal1