[alife] Call for Survey Responses: Creative Computing with Complex Systems

Lists lists at olliebown.com
Thu Mar 7 18:23:46 PST 2013

Call for Survey Responses
Creative Computing with Complex Systems: a survey of current practice
Design Lab, University of Sydney.

Investigators: Oliver Bown, Martin Tomitsch
Contact: Oliver Bown, oliver.bown at sydney.edu.au

This is a call for participation in a survey about the creative use of complex computational systems. We seek practitioners who work with any kind of complex or adaptive system in a creative context. We are interested in building a picture of practitioners’ methods, approaches and perspectives, the tools and technologies they use, their level of skill and the way they collaborate. Most importantly, we are interested in the process of understanding and manipulating complex systems in code. Our results will contribute to our broader aim of discovering new techniques for enabling creativity support.

We use the term complex to refer to a broad range of systems. Examples include, but are not limited to, Cellular Automata, Neural Networks, Flocks, Swarms, Ant Algorithms, Ecosystems, Other Multi-Agent Systems, Interactive Genetic Algorithms, Objective Genetic Algorithms, Reaction Diffusion Equations, Markov Models, Genetic Programming Trees, Decision Trees, Bayesian Networks. Examples of creative use include, but are not limited to, generative art and music, the generation of variety, conceptual art, adaptive input mapping, automated analysis, search and matching for creative applications, interactive design tools.

We are primarily interested in programmers (coding or patching) or creative people who work directly with programmers, but hope to receive replies from other end-users of complex systems software (e.g., users of freeware based on complex systems).

Please follow the link to complete the survey:
http://dlabprojects.net/surveys/index.php/survey/index/sid/688398/newtest/Y/lang/en

The survey should take about 15 minutes.

At the end of the survey you will be invited to enter your contact details for a follow-up interview, but you are welcome to complete the survey anonymously without submitting your email address.