[alife] CFP - Evolution of Physical Systems Workshop

Jean-Baptiste Mouret mouret at isir.upmc.fr
Tue Jul 2 04:54:39 PDT 2013

Dear researchers,

This workshop is an opportunity to present a paper that was accepted to ECAL, GECCO, IROS or in a related journal. We are still accepting submissions of abstracts!

* Evolution of Physical Systems Workshop *

at the 2013 European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL)
September 2, 2013
Taormina, Italy

We use the term Evolution of Physical Systems (EPS) to refer to evolutionary algorithms which occur entirely in real-world physical substrates rather than in simulation. The term encompasses both parallel Embodied Evolution (Watson et al., 2002), in which evolution is distributed across a population of robots, as well as Evolutionary Robotics (Floreano and Mondada, 1994) where evaluation is serialized on a single robot. Notable examples of EPS occur across a wide variety of systems, ranging from Robotics (Zykov et al., 2004)] to FPGAs (Thompson, 1996) to 3D printers (Rieffel and Sayles, 2010). Although EPS comes at a cost (the speed of the real world, unlike CPUs, does not follow Moore's Law), by definition it avoids the "reality gap" imposed by simulation, and has produced novel and tangeable real-world results. Regardless of application or method, all implementations of EPS are bound by many of the same constraints and technical challenges. The aim of this full-day single-!
track workshop is to bring together researchers who are currently involved in the Evolution of Physical Systems, as well as those interested in the technique, in order to share ideas and innovations. As the frontiers of artificial life move from the computer to the petri dish, the Evolution of Physical Systems offers to provide inroads into domains which are otherwise impossible to simulate.

The first EPS Workshop, at ALIFE `13 in East Lansing Michigan, was a tremendous success. Spread over an entire day, we had time for eight speakers to give presentations, as well as an extended panel session on the promises and pitfalls of the Evolution of Physical Systems. The room was packed for both morning and afternoon session, with more than 60 attendees.

Important Dates
Submission Deadline: July 14th, 2013
Workshop: September 2, 2013

Note: Workshop-only registration is available

Organizers:
- John Rieffel (Union College, New York, USA)
- Jean-Baptiste Mouret (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France)
- Nicolas Bredeche (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France)
- Evert Haasdijk (VU Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands)

Workshop’s website: http://cs.union.edu/~rieffelj/EPS-Workshop-13/
Conference’s website: http://www.dmi.unict.it/ecal2013/

Submission
We invite both extended abstracts and full "concept" papers. We invite and encourage participation by those who already have an EPS-themed paper accepted at ECAL. We will also accept abstracts of recently published EPS-related journal papers.

Papers should be submitted in PDF format only via email to rieffelj(at)union(dot)edu. Be sure to place the text "EPS Workshop" in the subject line of your message.
--
Jean-Baptiste Mouret
http://pages.isir.upmc.fr/~mouret