[alife] CFP 1st COBRA Summer School on Biological and Chemical Information

Gabi Escuela gabi.escuela at uni-jena.de
Thu May 3 08:45:02 PDT 2012

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (please forward to colleagues & students)

                   1st COBRA Summer School on
 Biological and Chemical Information Technologies
                        (BioChemITSchool2012)

            9-21 September 2012, San Candido, Italy.
             www.cobra-project.eu/summerschool.html
 20 - 30 fellowships available (see below)

Scope

The COBRA Summer School on Biological and Chemical IT will cover
different aspects of biological and chemical information technology
(BioChem IT). This includes topics such as:

Chemical computing
Molecular computing
Bacterial computing
Protocell technologies
Electronic chemical cells
Hybrid microfluidic systems

Students will learn state-of-art modeling and simulation approaches
as well as actual implementations of BioChem IT. Lectures will be
provided by an interdisciplinary faculty taken from physics,
chemistry, biology and computer science, guaranteeing a creative mix
of theory and practice. Beside lectures, the school will include
significant space for workgroups, where students can interact in small
teams that will form at the beginning of the school.

Organisation

The school is organised by the COBRA Coordination Action
(www.cobra-project.eu), supported by the European Commission FP7
Future and Emerging Technologies Proactive initiative. The project
acronym stands for Coordination of Biological and Chemical IT Research
Activities, and our main objective is to act as a unifying focus for
bio/chem IT, across a range of different research topics.
Participating projects so far are BACTOCOM, ECCell, MATCH-IT and
NEUNEU (see our Consortium page for more details).

Tentative list of faculty/speakers

Harold Fellermann, University of Southern Denmark
Jasmin Fischer, Microsoft Research Cambridge & University of Cambridge
Angel Goni-Moreno, Manchester Metropolitan University
John McCaskill, University of Bochum (RUB)
Steen Rasmussen, University of Southern Denmark & Santa Fe Institute
Pasquale Stano, Roma Tre University
Tetsuya Yomo, Osaka University
Klaus-Peter Zauner, University of Southampton
Peter Dittrich, Friedrich Schiller University Jena
Jerzy Gorecki, Institute for Physical Chemistry, Warsaw
Maurits de Planque, University of Southampton
Irene Poli, University of Venice

Important dates

Application deadline: 15 June 2012
Notification: 1 July 2012
Confirmation (and payment, if necessary): 14 July 2012

Location and travel

The school will be held in San Candido (Innichen), Alta Pusteria, Italy.

Getting there

Via Train, from Verona and from Austria.
Bolzano (100 km), Treviso (170 km), Venice (180 km) and Innsbruck (130
km) are the nearest airports.
Detailed travel instructions will be provided later.

Applications and financial support

The summer school is open to students and scientists in all countries.
Students are expected to attend for the full duration of the program.
There are approximately 20 to 30 scholarships available that can cover
the full tuition, including accommodation (double occupancy) and half
board. Scholarships will be available based on an individual's need and
merit through the general application procedure. Scholarships are
preferably provided to Ph.D. students. Enrollment is limited.

The school is open to scientists at all levels. In order to apply,
please provide:

1. Application form, including
(a) Short statement of research interests, and why you wish to attend
the school.
(b) Contact details for at least two scholars who have agreed to
provide a letter of recommendation (We will request letters only if
required).
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. List of Publications (if applicable).

Submitting your application

The application form is available on
www.cobra-project.eu/summerschool.html

Please submit your application as a single PDF document through EasyChair:

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=biochemitschool2012
(If you have no EasyChair account, you need to register first.)

Please fill out Author 1 with your basic information and mark
corresponding author. Use the fields Title, Abstract and Keywords for
the description of your current research project and interests. Note
that you can update your application until the submission deadline.

Information and questions

If you have questions regarding the summer school or you would like to
receive the latest information about it, please send an email to:
biochemitschool2012 at easychair.org
We will keep you updated on the summer school then.

COBRA Mailing list

We also recommend to register to our general mailing list to receive the
latest information about events and other COBRA activities:
http://cobra-project.eu/join.html

Acknowledgement

The COBRA project acknowledges the financial support of the Future and
Emerging Technologies (FET) program
within the ICT theme of the Seventh Framework Programme for Research of
the European Commission.

--
Gabi Escuela
PhD student