[alife] Generative and Developmental Systems Track, GECCO 2011, Call for Papers and Participation

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Fri Oct 29 09:10:18 PDT 2010

              GENERATIVE AND DEVELOPMENTAL SYSTEMS TRACK
    2011 GENETIC AND EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION CONFERENCE (GECCO-2011)

           http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2011

Dear Generative and Developmental Systems (GDS) Researcher,

We invite you to submit a paper to the GDS track at GECCO 2011, which is the
premier conference for GDS-related work worldwide.

Our program committee of GDS experts means that your paper will be reviewed
by many leaders in the field. Moreover, the attendance and enthusiasm at the
GDS track has increased every year since it started in 2007. The size and
prestige of the GECCO conference will allow many researchers to learn
about your work, both at the conference and via the proceedings (GECCO  has
the highest impact rating of all conferences in the field of Evolutionary
Computation and Artificial Life*).

Generative and Developmental Systems (GDS) is the study of indirect
representations (also known as generative or developmental encodings), i.e.
indirect mappings between the genotype and phenotype.  Indirect
representations are often inspired by biological development, where complex
phenotypes are grown from compact genomes. The aim of such systems is to
exploit powerful representations that efficiently encode complex structures
and increase the scalability and evolvability of evolutionary algorithms.

Traditionally, GDS has focused on mappings that involve a developmental
stage, implemented in a variety of ways including re-write systems and cell
chemistry simulations.  However, GDS concerns a wide range of indirect
encodings, including high-level abstractions of biological development and
environmental interactions.

GDS research both sheds light on biological development and furthers
engineering goals by harnessing generative representations for evolutionary
design.  Overall, GDS concerns a wide range of indirect representations
concerned with the genotype-phenotype map and encourages comparison,
discussion, and analysis of the advantages and relationships among various
representations. The GDS track is also open to papers regarding applications
of generative encodings to interesting problems.

We invite all papers related to GDS, including those in the following
subject areas: artificial development, artificial embryogeny, compositional
pattern producing networks (CPPNs), computational embryology, developmental
encodings, evolutionary design, generative representations, genetic
regulatory networks (GRNs), indirect encodings, genotype to phenotype
mappings, procedural representations, Lindenmayer Systems (L-Systems), etc.

For more information, visit the GDS Community webpage at gds.wikispot.org

We also want to alert you to the historical importance of this track. Many
of you share our excitement about this field and its connection to the
powerful capabilities of biological encoding and development. For many
years, there was no consistent annual venue to which researchers in this
area could submit papers to be reviewed by a committee of GDS researchers.
Most opportunities to present work in this area have been through one-time
workshops or symposia that do not carry the same weight as a GECCO
conference publication. To address this gap, a committee of GDS researchers
encouraged GECCO to establish an official conference track in 2007. With the
establishment of the track, we now have an opportunity to build a strong and
consistent community that can improve and flourish over time.

However, the track can only survive with your submissions.   It is important
to note that GECCO permanently cancels tracks that fail to attract
sufficient submissions.  Therefore, our community can preserve this new
resource only by contributing papers.  We know that you have many options
for submitting your GDS-related ideas, and we hope that you will consider
the long-term investment that GDS represents for the community.  Our program
committee is selected from among the top GDS researchers in the world, and
we hope that our track will continue to flourish with your enthusiasm.

IMPORTANT DATES
* Submission deadline: January 26, 2011
* Notification of paper acceptance: March 23, 2011
* Camera-ready submission: April 8, 2011
* GECCO-2010 Conference: July 12-16, 2011

The conference will be held in Dublin, Ireland.

For more information, please see the GECCO homepage at
http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2011

Best Regards,

Jeff Clune and Greg Hornby

2011 GECCO GDS Track Chairs

* http://www.cs-conference-ranking.org/conferencerankings/topicsii.html

GECCO is sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery Special
Interest Group on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (SIGEVO). SIG
Services: 2 Penn Plaza, Suite 701, New York, NY, 10121, USA,
1-800-342-6626 (USA and Canada) or +212-626-0500 (Global).

Best regards,
Jeff Clune

Postdoctoral Fellow
Hod Lipson's Computational Synthesis Laboratory
Cornell University
jeffclune at cornell.edu
www.msu.edu/~jclune

**Call for papers! Generative and Developmental Systems Track, GECCO 2011
(Dublin). Deadline Jan. 26th.**

----- End forwarded message -----

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu