[alife] CFP: IJRRCS - Special Issue on “Nature-Inspired Optimization in Networking”

Albert Lam ayslam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 22:29:17 PDT 2010

We apologize if you received multiple copies of this posting.

** CALL FOR PAPERS ***

CFP: International Journal of Research and Reviews in Computer Science -
Special Issue on
“Nature-Inspired Optimization in Networking”

Computer networking has become an active research fields in the last few
decades and many products have been realized through successful networking
research. Due to our demands for higher data rate and more seamless
connectivity, new technologies keep being developed and merchandised,
including wireless sensor networks, wireless mesh networks, social networks,
smart grid communications, etc. Therefore, many new problems have been
proposed and most of which can be formulated as optimization problems.
However, many such optimization problems do not have the corresponding good
algorithms developed or they are so hard (usually classified as NP-hard)
that no algorithm is available to find the optimal solution in polynomial
time.

Although it may be difficult to find the optimal solutions for these
problems, we can still approximate the best solutions with reasonably good
ones. When we focus on NP-hard problems and computation time is our concern,
approximate algorithms are the good choice. Since the evolutionary
computational approaches were developed in the past few decades, many works
rely on the nature-inspired algorithms to do optimization. The relatively
classical ones are Genetic Algorithm, Simulated Annealing, Artificial Immune
System, Ant Colony Optimization, and Particle Swarm Optimization, etc. Some
recently proposed algorithms include Harmony Search, Bee Algorithm,
Bacterial Foraging Optimization, Group Search Optimization,
Biogeography-based Optimization, Chemical Reaction Optimization, etc.

This special issue is focused on highlighting the nature-inspired techniques
to solve optimization for designing computer networks. They should
demonstrate advantages or improvements in some aspects over the existing
methods. The goal is to develop nature-inspired approaches which enhance the
adaptability, autonomicity, and scalability of any kinds of computer
networks. We also welcome submissions that demonstrate real-world experience
in and theoretical works on applying nature-inspired optimization techniques
to networking research problems.

Topics related to computer networks to be covered in this special issue
include but are not limited to:
• P2P audio and video streaming
• Grid and cluster computing
• Cloud systems
• Social networks
• Infrastructure-based and ad hoc cognitive radio systems
• Topology control and management
• Cross-layer design and interactions
• Centralized/distributed radio resource management in wireless mesh
networks
• Service-oriented and QoS support for smart grid
• Energy-efficient transmission switching and routing for smart grid
communications
• Multicast for smart grid
• Green computing systems

Topics related to nature-inspired techniques to be covered in this special
issue include but are not limited to:
• Genetic Algorithms
• Simulated Annealing
• Ant Colony Optimization
• Particle Swarm Optimization
• Artificial Immune Systems
• Harmony Search
• Bees Algorithm
• Biogeography-based Optimization
• Group Search Optimization
• Bacterial Foraging Optimization
• Chemical Reaction Optimization

Guest Editors:
• Dr. Albert Y.S. Lam, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong,
ayslam at eee.hku.hk
• Dr. Yanhui Geng, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, yhgeng at eee.hku.hk
• Dr. Ka-Cheong Leung, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong,
kcleung at eee.hku.hk

Important dates:
Manuscript submission deadline: September 1, 2010
Acceptance Notification: November 1, 2010
Final manuscripts: December 15, 2010
Publication: March, 2011

Submission procedure:
Authors should follow IJRRCS research paper manuscript format described at
the journal website:
http://scholarlyexchange.org/ojs/index.php/IJRRCS/about/submissions#authorGuidelines.
Manuscripts should be submitted to the guest editors with the following
email addresses: ayslam at eee.hku.hk, yhgeng at eee.hku.hk, and
kcleung at eee.hku.hk.

For more information, please visit the journal website:
http://scholarlyexchange.org/ojs/index.php/IJRRCS/announcement/view/119