[alife] Workshop on Smart Sensors at SAB 2010

John Hallam john at mmmi.sdu.dk
Wed Apr 28 03:28:30 PDT 2010

On August 24, 2010, as part of the Simulation of Adaptive Behavior
conference in Paris (France!) we plan to hold the following workshop.
Participants should submit an extended (4 page) abstract; selected
workshop contributors will be encouraged to develop their submission
for a Special Issue of the Journal of Adaptive Behavior.

As usual, I apologise if you receive multiple copies of this
announcement.

   Smarter sensors, easier processing
   ==================================

ABSTRACT

Perceptual research in artificial intelligence usually focuses on the
central processing of sensor data. The sensors (or sensor models) are
often simplified and abstracted analogues of the sensorial systems of
real animals. This approach places the burden of perception on the
central nervous system. Moreover, it neglects the fact that sensors
are important parts of the perceptual systems of animals integrated
both with central processing and expressed behavior.

Indeed, as proposed by Rudiger Wehner (1987) and others, many
sensorial systems found in nature have evolved to offload part of the
perceptual processing to the periphery. Furthermore, some animal
sensors have associated sensory behaviors that constrain or generate
rich interactions that make perceptual interpretation easier, for
example rat whiskers.

Specifically, through their physical interaction with the environment
sensors select and preprocess data thereby substantially reducing the
need for elaborate central processing. For example, insect
photoreceptors provide the animal with a coarse image of the outside
world in which details that are unimportant to the behavior are
reduced and relevant features are enhanced.

In this workshop we want to bring together people working on smart
perceptual systems that reduce the need for central processing both in
animals and animats.

MORE INFORMATION

Please visit http://smartsensors.webnode.com/ for more information on
the workshop and instructions on how to submit.

For further information on logistics, registration, timing etc. see
the SAB2010 web site at http://www.sab2010.org/

THE ORGANIZERS

Herbert Peremans, University Antwerp
Dieter Vanderelst, University Antwerp
John Hallam, University of Southern Denmark