[alife] Call for papers: Genetic Programming Theory and Practice 2010

Rick Riolo rlriolo at umich.edu
Wed Nov 18 06:59:56 PST 2009

The Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS) at the University
of Michigan is pleased to be hosting:

  GPTP-2010 -- Eighth Annual Genetic Programming Theory and Practice Workshop
  May 20-22 (Thur-Sat), 2010
  Ann Arbor Michigan USA

GPTP is a small, one-track, invitation-only workshop devoted to the
integration of theory and practice. In particular, it focuses on how
theory can inform practice and what practice reveals about theory.

If you are interested in presenting a paper at GPTP-2010, we ask you
to submit an extended abstract describing your work and results. We
will extend a limited number of invitations based on proposed
abstracts.

We encourage our contributors to submit work that asks new questions
about GP and its application, and finds creative ways to address those
questions. We encourage presentation of results that

   * highlight a qualitative new understanding of some GP issue along
with empirical evidence;
   * demonstrate a qualitatively new GP application; or
   * show substantive (2 to 10x!) improvements in speed, reliability,
results quality, etc.

The goal is to continue to make GPTP workshops a leading venue for
high quality, cutting-edge work for progress toward a science of GP.

To see a list of participants and papers for previous GPTP workshops, visit

  http://cscs.umich.edu/events/gptp-workshops

Papers have been published in a series of "Genetic Programming Theory
and Practice" books, one for each year (by Kluwer/Springer).

The format of GPTP 2010 will be similar to that of the previous ones
(2003-2009): a relatively small, invitation-only workshop on the
campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, with plenty of time
for discussion of a roughly equal mix of a total of 18 papers by
theorists and practitioners. In order to facilitate a substantial
exchange of ideas, workshop talks will be approximately 30 minutes
long, with considerable time allocated for discussion. The papers will
be reviewed by co-participants prior to the workshop, and collected
for publication in a book to be published as soon as possible after
the workshop. As we would like to have the papers available for
distribution before the workshop, the deadline for the submission of
full papers will be mid/late March 2010. Papers will be 16 pages max.

If you are interested in having a paper considered for presentation at
the workshop and included in the book, please send a one-page abstract
as well as a short CV of the authors to:

    gptp-2010 at umich.edu

by: 11 January 2010. *** Earlier responses are encouraged ***

The abstracts will be reviewed and decisions made by 18 January 2010.
We will select 2-6 proposed papers based on relevance to the GPTP
workshop goals, the expected quality of the contribution, and how the
paper topic will fit with the "mix" of other invited and selected
papers.

There is no "workshop fee" for participation, as workshop is funded by
generous donations from groups and companies interested in advancing
the art and science of GP.

If you have questions, please email them to gptp-2010 at umich.edu .

GPTP-2010 Workshop Organization Committee

Rick Riolo Trent McConaghy Katya Vladislavleva

ps Please forward to colleagues and/or post the attached announcement.

Rick Riolo                           rlriolo at umich.edu
Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
321a West Hall
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1107
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://cscs.umich.edu/~rlr