[alife] The International Seminar on the Emergence and Evolution of Linguistic Communication (JAIST-EELC2010)

HASHIMOTO, Takashi hash at jaist.ac.jp
Sat Dec 19 18:00:57 PST 2009

Dear colleagues,

Allow us to invite you to participate in JAIST-EELC2010
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/JAIST-EELC2010/

             THE INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON
  THE EMERGENCE AND EVOLUTION OF LINGUISTIC COMMUNICATION
                 (JAIST-EELC2010)

        http://www.jaist.ac.jp/JAIST-EELC2010/

                10-12 March, 2010
          Campus Plaza Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan

  Students can be supported for some of their travel expenses.

* Introduction

Language or the faculty of language is one of the unique
characteristics of humans.  When, why, and how did this faculty
biologically evolve? How did the initial language develop into our
present complex language?  How does such dynamic and creative
communication as we now engage in emerge?  These are our questions
regarding the origin and evolution of language.  The origin and
evolution of language are complex phenomena in which adaptive changes
with different spatiotemporal scales, namely, learning, cultural
evolution, and biological evolution, interact with each other.  In
order to understand these phenomena, we should advance research in
diverse disciplines, in addition to evolutionary biology and
linguistics, such as ethology about animal communication systems,
cognitive and brain sciences regarding language ability and language
acquisition, and complex systems and constructive research treating
hetero and complex dynamics. Further, we need to develop new
experimental paradigms and new theoretical tools for language
evolution.  With the progress of such modern research into language
evolution, the true issues and effective research methodologies have
come into our sight. Now, by holding this international seminar to
learn about and discuss these issues, basic concepts and effective
methodologies with some of the leading scholars in the field, we want
to encourage further research activities, and expand the development
of this exciting field.

* Lecturers (in alphabetical order):

   - Cedric Boeckx (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain)
   - Tecumseh Fitch (Universitat Wien, Austria)
   - Kouji Fujita (University of Kyoto, Japan)
   - Takashi Hashimoto (JAIST, Japan)
   - Yoshihisa Nakamura (University of Kanazawa, Japan)
   - Rafael Nunez (University of California, USA)
   - Kazuo Okanoya (RIKEN BSI, Japan)

* Organizing Committee

   - Takashi Hashimoto (JAIST, Japan), Chair
   - Koji Fujita (University of Kyoto, Japan)
   - Yoshihisa Nakamura (University of Kanazawa, Japan)
   - Kazuo Okanoya (RIKEN BSI, Japan)

* Contact

  If you have any queries, please e-mail to JAIST-EELC2010 at jaist.ac.jp

* Sponsor

Sponsored by Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
Under the joint auspices of
the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas
"The study on the neural dynamics for understanding
communication in terms of complex hetero systems"

* The EELC Symposium Series

This seminar is the fourth of a series of the successful workshops on
the Emergence and Evolution of Linguistic Communication. The first one
was held in 2004 in Kanazawa (Japan) under the auspices of the
Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence (JSAI), the second one in
Hatfield (United Kingdom) under the auspices of the Society for the
Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (AISB),
and the third one in Rome (Italy) under the auspices of the
International Society for Adaptive Behavior (ISAB).

----
Takashi Hashimoto (Ph.D.) <hash at jaist.ac.jp>
Professor
School of Knowledge Science,
Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST)
Tel: +81-761-51-1756  Fax: +81-761-51-1149
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hash/index-e.html