[alife] PostDoc_POSITION_IN_ROBOTICS_IN_UK

Martin Huelse msh at aber.ac.uk
Fri May 30 02:51:39 PDT 2008

RESEARCH POSITION IN ROBOTICS

Post-Doctoral Research Associate
Robotics Research Group, Department of Computer Science,
Aberystwyth University, Wales, UK
£22,332 - £33,780

Applications are invited for the post of postdoctoral
Research Associate for a project on robot interaction
in the context of sensory-motor learning. This is a
three year EC FP 7 funded project with 5 other partners
(see http://www.rossiproject.eu). The successful applicant
should have a doctorate in a relevant field, excellent
software engineering skills, and good writing and
communication skills.
For informal enquiries contact:
Prof. Mark Lee,
email: mhl at aber.ac.uk,
phone: +44 (0)1970 622420 (direct).

Ref: CS.07.09
Closing date: 20 June 2008

This project is entitled "ROSSI; Emergence of communication
in Robots through Sensorimotor and Social Interaction", and
focuses on the development of communication between robots
and humans (http://www.rossiproject.eu).
In particular, the project is addressing the question of
how critical it is for communicating agents to share the same
general view of the world.  Agents possessing different sensory
and motor systems may have different views of the world and
therefore may have difficulties in communicating. We are
exploring to what extent and which aspects of world models
must be shared in order to facilitate communication between
robots and humans.  We wish to increase understanding of the
requirements of affordance based world models, shared models
and communication provided by such models, based on understanding
of objects, actions, and processes in their environment. The focus
of this project is the construction of robots that are able to
process simple commands and to respond appropriately by
interacting with different kinds of objects and entities in
their environment. This project has 6 partners in Italy,
Germany, Sweden and Turkey, involving psychologists,
neuroscientists, computer scientists and robotics engineers.
We are involved in all stages but especially the implementation
of the models in a robotic manipulation system and the testing
and experimentation with real application tasks.

We wish to appoint a Post-Doctoral Research Associate who
will take major responsibility for the programme of research
in the context of our robotics team.  This post is available
on a three-year fixed-term contract. We expect to appoint for
a start date of 1 March 2008.

- Applicants should have a doctorate in computer science,
artificial intelligence, engineering, or a related scientific
field, and be able to demonstrate research experience.
- The post requires excellent software skills for the
implementation and running of a range of experimental components.
- The successful applicant will also be involved in writing
scientific documents and papers and will be expected to travel
and give presentations as necessary.

For informal enquiries contact Mark Lee:
mhl at aber.ac.uk
+44 (0)1970-622420
For further details of the post and an application form please see the
link below:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/human-resources/en/vacancies.shtml

Ref: CS.07.09
Closing date: 20 June 2008

NOTE: Please put the post reference on the front of your envelope
and on your application form.  Completed Applications Forms
should be signed and returned to the Operations Team by
fax or post. E-mail attachments will not be accepted.

Bilingual Institution which operates a Welsh Language scheme.
Committed to Equal Opportunities.

Operations Team: vacancies at aber.ac.uk /
Tel:  01970 621591 /
Fax:  01970 622975

Martin Huelse, Dr. rer. nat.

Intelligent Robotics Group               email:   msh at aber.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science,          web:     aml.somebodyelse.de
University of Wales,                     office:  +44 (0)1970-62 2441
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DB,       lab:     +44 (0)1970-62 2403
United Kingdom.                          fax:     +44 (0)1970-62 8536