[alife] Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems MSc at Sussex

Ezequiel Di Paolo ezequiel at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 08:45:29 PDT 2008

The Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems (EASy) group at the University of
Sussex is probably the largest such multidisciplinary research group in
the world, working on a wide range of topics where Computer Science and
Complex Systems and AI and Artificial Life swap ideas with Biology. Our
faculty has expanded this year, we have over 40 active researchers at
doctoral and postdoctoral level, plus a significant number of Masters
students. Our research group has been going some 17 years, the MSc since
1996. It is a research-oriented MSc, and there are now over 100 ex-EASy
MSc students who have completed doctorates or are now researching for them
around the world.

http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/easy/MSc/

The EASy MSc is a one year course with 2 terms of coursework followed by a
major supervised research project in a relevant area. The EASy group is
within the Informatics Department, with strong links to the School of Life
Sciences.

We have some funding from the EPSRC to award studentships on a competitive
basis to the best UK/EU applicants: UK-resident students tuition or
tuition+living expenses, other EU students tuition fees only. Other
international applicants, likewise local students not awarded
studentships, are welcome on self-funding basis; a part-time option over 2
years is also available.

Applications (for October 2008 start) need to provide evidence of
sufficient programming experience to start programming for projects within
the first term; either Analytic or Maths or Scientific
experience/expertise, so as to be able to think analytically in complex
areas; and cogent reasons for wanting to do a research-oriented MSc in
this area. These applications are also used to decide allocation of
studentships.

Faculty currently directly involved in the course include

Dr Inman Harvey - Artificial evolution, evolutionary robotics, artificial
life
Prof Phil Husbands - Evolutionary computation, GasNets for robotics
Dr Ezequiel Di Paolo - Social behaviour, homeostasis, autopoiesis
Dr Adrian Thompson - Evolvable hardware, evolutionary electronics
Dr David Young - Computer Vision
Dr Anil Seth - Neuroscience, neural modelling
Dr Andy Philippides - Modelling of neurotransmitters
Dr Luc Berthouze - Development, motor skills acquisition in humans/robots

Other faculty here at Sussex in associated areas in the School of Life
Sciences include

Prof Tom Collett (Ant and bee navigational behaviour)
Prof Mick O'Shea (Neuroscience)
Dr Joel Peck (Evolutionary Theory)
Prof David Waxman (Evolutionary Theory)
Prof Daniel Osorio (Animal Vision)

For further admin information and applications contact

Postgraduate Admissions, Informatics
University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK
pgadmissions at informatics.susx.ac.uk
http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/easy/MSc/

Ezequiel Di Paolo
http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/users/ezequiel/