[alife] Chair at the Life Sciences Interface, Southampton, UK

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sat May 26 17:00:01 PDT 2007

Chair at the Life Sciences Interface
School of Electronics and Computer Science
Southampton University, U.K.
Competitive Salary

Ref No. 1107-07-E

We wish to appoint a candidate to take a leading role in our developing
research programme at the interface with the life sciences. The School is
the largest of its kind in the UK and it was awarded the top grades
(5*/5*) for its research in Electronics and Computer Science in the 2001
Research Assessment Exercise. In teaching the QAA ratings are also the
highest possible. The school's continuing investment in new positions at
the interface with the life sciences is part of a university wide
initiative to enhance this activity. One example of this commitment is the
founding of a new Institute for Life Sciences with a mandate to pursue
collaborative cross-disciplinary research and facilitate communication
between the disciplines associated with Medicine, Health Care, Life and
Physical Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics.

The chair will join the Science and Engineering of Natural Systems (SENSe)
Research Group which currently comprises five academic staff with research
in: Adaptive Behaviour, Artificial Intelligence, Biological Computing
Substrates, Evolutionary and Ecological Modelling, Microbial Ecosystems,
and Theoretical Biology. Our research combines mathematical and simulation
modelling with robotics and wet lab biology. Our collaborators span the
social, biological, medical and physical sciences.

We are seeking an outstanding individual with research interests that
enhance and complement our research profile in order to help drive forward
our ambitious agenda. You will have demonstrated a record of
internationally recognised research achievement at the life sciences
interface, as well as the potential to sustain that record. Relevant
research areas include both those that take a computational approach to
biological systems and those that draw inspiration from the life sciences
for engineering purposes. As such, it is anticipated that the successful
candidate will have a background in either, the life sciences, the natural
sciences or computer science.

Information about the School can be found at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
and on the SENSe website at http://www.sense.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ .

Informal enquiries can be made in the first instance to Professor Wendy
Hall wh at ecs.soton.ac.uk

Please visit www.jobs.soton.ac.uk and apply on-line, or call 023 8059 2750
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobfiles/RH722.html

--