[alife] EEG workshop cfp: could you please advertise?

Luca Tummolini luca.tummolini at istc.cnr.it
Wed Jun 14 09:11:18 PDT 2006

Apologies for cross posting

================

Evolution, Emergence, Generation
(EEG)
(28-29 September at Saïd Business School, University of Oxford)
a ECCS'06 satellite workshop
(European Conference in Complex Systems 2006)

What is the nature of explanation in complex systems? While emergent
properties are often proposed as synonyms of complex ones, the
evolutionary paradigm becomes dominant, especially after the crisis of
equilibrium theories. Finally, generative explanations of
out-of-equilibrium phenomena has been recently auspicated. The workshop
is intended to launch an interdisciplinary confrontation among these
paradigms and the related methodologies.

Call for Papers:

EEG invites submissions for extended abstract to be followed by full
papers. All submissions will be peer-reviewed by members of the
Programme
Committee, and by additional referees if necessary. EEG has been
organised according to a set of broadly defined topics, which will form
the conference tracks. These topics are:

• Evolutionary models and mechanisms;
• Fitness in nature and culture;
• Emergence: properties, levels and directions;
• Causal, generative and algorithmic explanation;
• Methods and techniques in complexity;

Submissions for extended abstracts should be up to 4 pages, and if
accepted may be published as part of the workshop proceedings.

All submissions must be made by 3 July 2006. Authors will be notified
whether their submission has been accepted by 31 July 2006.

<In addition, accepted long papers will also be considered for inclusion
in a special issue >

Relevant Dates:

EEG Submission: July 03 2006
EEG Notification: July 31 2006
EEG September 28-29 2006 (Saïd Business School of the University of
Oxford)
ECCS '06 September 24-29 2006 (Saïd Business School of the University of
Oxford)

Papers should be sent to:

giulia.andrighetto at istc.cnr.it (or)
paolo.turrini at istc.cnr.it

Event organization:

Co-chairs:

• Rosaria Conte, ISTC-CNR
• Mario Paolucci, ISTC-CNR

Scientific Organizers:

• Giulia Andrighetto, University of Rome, ISTC-CNR
• Paolo Turrini, University of Siena, ISTC-CNR

Invited Speakers (to be confirmed):

• Prof.Nigel Gilbert (University of Surrey)
• Prof.Cristiano Castelfranchi (ISTC-CNR, University of Siena)
• Prof. Edmund Chattoe (University of Oxford)

Program Committee (to be confirmed):

• Susan Hurley, University of Warwick
• Nigel Gilbert, Department of Sociology, University of Surrey
• Joshua M. Epstein, Santa Fe Institute
• Brian Artur, Santa Fe Institute
• Domenico Parisi, Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology,
CNR
• John L. Casti, Technical University of Vienna
• Cristiano Castelfranchi, Institute for Cognitive Science and
Technology, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche CNR
• Henry Plotkin, University College London
• Hardy Hanappi, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics,
University of Technology of Vienna
• Gérard Weisbuch, Département de Physique - Ecole Normale
Supérieure,
• Claudio Cioffi-Revilla, Center for Social Complexity, George
Mason University
• Luis Filipe Coelho Antunes, Computer Science Departement, Porto
University
• Keiki Takadama, Tokyo Institute of Technology
• Edmond Chattoe, Department of Economics, University of Oxford
• Michael Tomasello, Max Planck Institute, Leipzig
• Dan Sperber, CNRS, Paris

Links:

ECCS '06

http://complexsystems.lri.fr/Portal/tiki-index.php?page=ECCS%2706