[alife] 2 RCUK fellowships at CCNR Sussex University

Phil Husbands p.husbands at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 03:21:41 PDT 2006

2x RCUK Academic Fellowships in Centre for Computational Neuroscience and
Robotics (Fixed term to permanent) JOB REF: 422
Department of Biology & Environmental Science and Department of
Informatics, University of Sussex

Fixed Term for 5 years leading to a permanent post.

We seek to appoint two outstanding Academic Fellows under the RCUK scheme
to work in the Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Robotics
Neuroscience (www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/ccnr/), a leading
interdisciplinary research centre run jointly by the Neuroscience research
group within the Department of Biology and Environmental Science and the
Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems group in the Department of Informatics.
The Fellows will contribute to one or more of the CCNR's areas of research
which include computational neuroscience, sensory and motor systems, MEA
interfacing to cultured neural networks, insect and robot navigation,
biologically inspired adaptive robotics, complex adaptive systems and
computational biology.

We are looking for scientists who can show evidence of independent research
of international standing as well as promise as excellent communicators of
science. Both fellowships will be joint appointments in the Department of
Biology and Environmental Science and the Department of Informatics.
Although we seek two individuals with strong multidisciplinary interests,
one may be more biased towards the biological sciences and the other
towards the computational.

The RCUK fellowship scheme (www.rcuk.ac.uk/acfellow/) is designed to give
researchers on fellowships or grant funding a stable route into academia.
Those who already hold or are promised a permanent position in a University
are not eligible. The University has a commitment to provide a permanent
position as a member of teaching faculty at the end of the 5-year
fellowship, subject to the satisfactory completion of the probation period.
Salary will depend on skills and experience.

For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Prof Phil
Husbands (philh at sussex.ac.uk) or Prof Michael O'Shea (M.O-Shea at sussex.ac.uk)

For further details and application process (application form + CV +
covering letter) see
<http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/staffing/personnl/vacs/vac422.shtml>
Closing date: 17 August 2006.