[alife] Philosophy and Complexity - 1st Call for Abstracts

Carlos Gershenson cgershen at vub.ac.be
Tue Jan 18 07:41:11 PST 2005

//Please distribute
//Please excuse multiple copies

             COMPLEXITY, SCIENCE, AND SOCIETY CONFERENCE
                 http://www.liv.ac.uk/ccr/2005_conf/
               11-14 September 2005 (Sunday-Wednesday)
                            Liverpool, UK
                 SESSION ON PHILOSOPHY AND COMPLEXITY
                  http://complexity.vub.ac.be/phil/
                        1st Call for Abstracts

Liverpool will be the host for an exciting conference on Complexity,
Science and Society between 11-14 September 2005. One of the many
sessions planned for this conference will be devoted to Philosophy and
Complexity.

MOTIVATION

Scientific, technological, and cultural changes have always had an
impact in philosophy, since they force a change in the way we perceive
the world. Complexity science, immersed in a culture of information,
is having an impact in philosophy. Previous ideas need to face the new
knowledge.

For this event, we would like to discuss philosophical ideas that
take into account complexity science. It is clear that traditional
philosophy has become obsolete in certain aspects. We would like to
notice in which aspects philosophy needs to adapt to complexity, and
in which not.

TOPICS related to the session include (but are not limited to):

•          Determinism, Predictability, and Certainty
•          Ontology and Metaphysics
•          Epistemology
•          Ethics and Society
•          Logics
•          Causality
•          Nonlinear thinking
•          Philosophy of Science
•          Reductionism and Emergentism
•          Evolution
•          Computability

These topics can be approached from different backgrounds, such as
physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, philosophy, computer
science, cognitive science, social sciences, artificial intelligence,
artificial life, etc.

PARTICIPATION

Intending participants are requested to submit an abstract (500-1000
word) in PDF format to cgershen at vub.ac.be by April 15th, 2005, with the
subject “Philosophy and Complexity”. We will use the abstracts for
selecting the presentations at the session.

It is currently planned that papers arising from the session will be
published subsequently in a refereed forum, such as a journal special
issue or an edited volume. An open invitation will be made to
participants and others to submit a paper for post-conference
publication in this forum. The arrangements and formatting
instructions for post-conference publication will be announced
following negotiations with appropriate publishers.

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

•          William Bechtel
•          Mark Bedau
•          Jacques Dubucs
•          Bruce Edmonds
•          Carlos Gershenson
•          Francis Heylighen
•          Alicia Juarrero
•          Michael Lissack
•          Chris Lucas
•          Edgar Morin
•          Robert Pennock
•          Kurt Richardson
•          John Symons
•          Pedro Sotolongo
•          Jean Paul Van Bendegem
•          Franz Wuketits
•          Roger Young

IMPORTANT DATES

•          15 April 2005: Abstract submissions
•          13 May 2005: Acceptance decisions
•          11 June 2005: Early registration due
•          11-14 September 2005: Conference
•          1 November 2005: Full papers for post-conference publication.

CONTACT

http://complexity.vub.ac.be/phil/
Carlos Gershenson
Centrum Leo Apostel