[alife] MSc/PhD in the EVOLUTION OF LANGUAGE & COGNITION

Simon Kirby simon at ling.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 10:57:27 PST 2005

MSc/PhD in the EVOLUTION OF LANGUAGE & COGNITION
One year taught Masters & PhD programme

University of Edinburgh, UK

What is it that makes us human? How did our brains evolve? What are the
origins of human language? Why do we think the way we do? What are the
mechanisms of biological, cultural and linguistic evolution?

The University of Edinburgh is now in the second year of a successful
Postgraduate Programme in the Evolution of Language and Cognition. Students
tackle the key questions that are at the heart of the recent renaissance in
the scientific study of the origins and evolution of human language and
cognition.

The programme consists of two components: an interdisciplinary 1 year taught
Masters degree, and a supervised PhD. Students will apply for one or the
other degree, depending on background and experience. The MSc year can be
used as preparation for the PhD.

Human evolution is a topic for cognitive scientists, psychologists,
linguists, archaeologists, anthropologists, biologists, and computer
scientists. Because of this, the postgraduate programme will suit students
from a wide range of backgrounds. If you are interested in learning more
about the evolution of human cognition and language, and about the many
disciplines that contribute to its study, we'd like to hear from you.

We are now accepting applications for entry to the MSc in September 2005,
and for entry to the PhD at any time.

To find out more about the course, and what it will be like to live and work
in Edinburgh, go to our website. Here you will also find full details about
how to apply.

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/lec/elc

[Please feel free to pass on this email to anyone who might be interested.]

Simon Kirby
Language Evolution & Computation Research Unit
School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~simon