[alife] 2nd CFP: AMAM2005 Adaptive Motion in Animals and Machines

Auke Ijspeert auke.ijspeert at epfl.ch
Thu Feb 10 02:53:59 PST 2005

****************Second Call for Papers****************

  3rd International Symposium on Adaptive Motion in Animals and Machines
  AMAM 2005

will take place at

Technische Universität Ilmenau, Germany, September 25th - September
30th, 2005.

Deadline for abstract submission: February 28^th , 2005.

Please find details and the first Call for Papers at:
http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/amam

On behalf of the International Organizing Committee under the guidance
of Prof. Kazuo Tsuchiya (Kyoto, Japan), it is our pleasure to cordially
invite you to take part in this symposium.

It is our dream to understand principles of animals' surprising
abilities in adaptive motion and to transfer such abilities on a robot.
However, principles of adaptation to various environments have not yet
been clarified, and autonomous adaptation is left unsolved as a
seriously difficult problem in robotics. Apparently, the adaptation
ability shown by animals and needed by robots in a real world can not be
explained or realized by one single function in the control system. That
is, adaptation is induced at multiple levels in a wide spectrum from the
central neural system to the musculo-skeletal system.

We are organizing AMAM 2005 for scientists and engineers concerned with
adaptation on various levels to be brought in contact, to discuss
principles on each level and to investigate principles governing total
systems.

Some topics of particular interest to guide prospective contributors are:

    * Visual Adaptation Mechanisms of Systems in Locomotion
    * Sensory-Motor Coordination in Locomotion
    * Neuro-Mechanics
    * Locomotion of Animals
    * Behaviour (Locomotion and Idiomotion) of Mammals, esp. Primates,
      esp. Humans and Humanoids
    * Embodied Intelligence in Locomotion
    * Non-linear Dynamics in Locomotion
    * Adaptive Mechanics
    * Modeling and Analysis of Motion
    * Prostheses, Ortheses and Rehabilitation
    * Evolution of Adaptive Motion (Phylogenesis)
    * Ontogenesis of Adaptive Motion (from Learning to De-learning,
      Development and Ageing)
    * Technical Development of Mechanism and Control for Adaptive Motion

Prof. H. Kimura, Tokyo (Japan)
Prof. A.J. Ijspeert, Lausanne (Switzerland)
Prof. Hartmut Witte, Ilmenau (Germany)