[alife] Fwd: Call for Papers: Human Complex Systems III

Russell Standish R.Standish at unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 15 20:16:07 PDT 2003

I'm posting this message on behalf of Nick Gessler. Please refer any
queries to him, not me... Russell

 HUMAN COMPLEX SYSTEMS III
 CALL FOR PAPERS

 Hello!

 After two successful years, we're back!!!
 Join us for the Third Annual Lake Arrowhead Conference on Human
 Complex Systems.
 Wednesday, May 19 through Sunday, May 23, 2004.

 We welcome back all the participants from the past two years, and
 especially newcomers.
 An invitation follows below. Further information is available on our
 website at:
 http://www.hcs.ucla.edu/arrowhead.htm

 WE INVITE PAPERS AND SESSIONS ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:

 Agent Modeling Methodologies
 Modeling Approaches: Evolutionary Computation, Cellular Automata,
 Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks, Simulated Annealing
 Robustness and Validity Issues
 Intersections with Mathematics, Human Experiments, and Social
 Epistemology
 Artificial Societies and Artificial Cultures
 Physical and Virtual Robot Societies and Cultures
 Complexity and Chaos Theory
 Emergent Social Structure
 Social Network Dynamics
 Spatial Analysis
 Game Theory
 Knowledge, Distributed Intelligence, and Distributed Cognition
 Governance, Centralization, Decentralization
 Agent-Related Systems Dynamics
 Public and Private Sector Applications
 Disciplinary and Multi- and Interdisciplinary Applications
 Topics of Your Choice

 We encourage papers at the cutting-edge of agent-based modeling that
 are relevant to the social science community broadly defined.

 WE ESPECIALLY INVITE SESSION PROPOSALS ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

 1. Models for scientific (truth) justification or practical usefulness?
 2. Models, Proof, and Prediction?
 3. Are we modeling more than slime mold complexity?
 4. Are models without memory and path dependency useful in social
 science?
 5. How much should we KISS? The old "simple vs. complex" debate.
 6. How much model validation with real world data should be required
 for publication?
 7. Most models fail to meet Stanley Salthe's "triadic structure"
 standard. A problem?
 8. Should models get into Aristotelian causes & coevolutionary causal
 dynamics?
 9. Simulated agents are usually always activated. People aren't. Does
 this make models invalid?
 10. What basic theories of order creation are implied in social
 science agent-based models?
 11. Are models mixing order creation and statistics oxymoronic? What
 to do about this?
 12. Self-interest vs. "embeddedness" rules. Economics vs. Sociology?
 Should modelers care?
 13. Agent models vs. math. Is there a difference? Should modelers
 worry? Math old fashioned?

 This year's conference is once again at the UCLA Lake Arrowhead
 Conference Center:
 http://www.uclaconferencecenter.com

 The all inclusive prices are below.
 These include EVERYTHING: lodging, meals, transportation, conference
 registration:

 Students: $650
 Faculty: $800
 Private Sector: $900

 We look forward to seeing you at Lake Arrowhead!

 Best wishes,

 Phil Bonacich
 Nicholas Gessler
 Susanne Lohmann