[alife] Virtual Creatures

Rob Leclerc leclerc at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jul 7 14:56:16 PDT 2003

Since I noticed a lot of traffic coming to my site with keywords "Karl
Sims" + "Source Code" I thought I would mention it here on Alife.org. On
my site I have some source code files (C/C++) for a couple of simple
virtual creatures. They are meant to be as small as possible and would
be a good starting point for anyone interested in doing VC modeling. I
know when I looked around for source code it wasn't available. The
simplest one uses Vortex a commercially available physics engine; you
can get a 21 day demo of it from cm-labs.com. The second, a 4-legged,
uses ODE a freely available open source physics engine
(http://opende.sourceforge.net/), which I highly recommend.

You can link to the site here: www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~leclerc and from
there you will find links to the source code, as well as some movies.

RDL

PS. Oh, and if anyone is doing any work with evolving artificial genetic
regulatory networks for VC's, morphology, or neural networks I would
like to talk to you.

Rob Leclerc
University of Calgary
Department of Computer Science